The Direxion Auspice Broad Commodity Strategy ETF seeks investment results, before fees and expenses, that track the Auspice Broad Commodity Index. There is no guarantee the fund will meet its stated investment objectives.
Overall Morningstar RatingTM ««««
Overall Morningstar RatingTM out of 100 US Fund Commodities Broad Basket funds based on risk adjusted returns as of 12/31/2022†.
|Fund Symbol||Intra-day Value||Benchmark Index||Security Identifier||Expense Ratio (gross/net %)||Inception Date|
|COM||COM.IV||ABCERI||25460E307||0.81 / 0.81*||Mar 30, 2017|
Documents & Downloads
Strategy & Benefits
The Direxion Auspice Broad Commodity Strategy ETF allows investors to take advantage of rising commodity prices, in addition to mitigate risk by going flat (cash) when individual commodities are experiencing downward trends. It seeks to potentially provide commodity investment returns with lower risk characteristics than long-only commodity strategies.
- A 40 Act, non K-1 generating approach to commodity investing
- Exposure to 12 commodities that can individually be long or flat (if a short signal is triggered the position is moved to cash)
- The ability to make position changes intra-month based on trends
- Month-end review where the position size of each component is modified if volatility exceeds certain predetermined risk levels
- A “smart” contract roll approach designed to select cost effective futures contracts to roll into upon expiration of current contract
Why consider long/flat commodities?
Most traditional commodity funds can only benefit if commodity prices rise. However, these long-only commodity strategies have shown to be inconsistent over time because:
- Commodity returns are typically cyclical and sporadic
- Individual commodity sub-sectors tend to perform dissimilarly in different market environments
- Significant draw-downs can be damaging to the long-term performance of a portfolio
Within the inherently volatile commodity markets, a long/flat approach is potentially more adaptive to whip-sawing market conditions.
Component Sectors and Current Positioning
All data as of 2/28/2023 and is subject to change at any time and are not recommendations to buy or sell any security. When the positions within the various components are flat, they will be invested in cash and U.S. Treasury Bills. Individual components may vary based on risk levels.
The Auspice Broad Commodity Index (ABCERI) is a rules-based long/flat broad commodity index that seeks to capture the majority of the commodity upside returns, while seeking to mitigate downside risk. The Index is made up of a diversified portfolio of 12 commodities futures contracts (Silver, Gold, Copper, Heating Oil, Natural Gas, Gasoline, Crude Oil, Wheat, Soybeans, Corn, Cotton, and Sugar) that based on price trends can individually be Long or Flat (in Cash). One cannot directly invest in an index.
Calendar Year Total Returns %
Return/Risk Characteristics of ABCERI vs Notable Broad Commodity Indices
|ABCERI||S&P GSCI||BCOM||DBC CI|
Data Range: 01/01/2011 – 12/31/2022.
|Annualized Std. Deviation||8.96%||21.74%||14.78%||17.67%|
Date Range: 09/30/2010 – 12/31/2022
Annualized Return and past performance does not guarantee future results. Index returns and correlations are historical and are not representative of any fund performance. Total returns of the Index include reinvested dividends. One cannot invest directly in an index.
Standard Deviation is a measure of the dispersion of a set of data from its mean.
Maximum Drawdown is the greatest percent decline from a previous high.
S&P GSCI Excess Return Index (S&P GSCI), a composite index of commodity sector returns representing an unleveraged, long-only investment in commodity futures that is broadly diversified across the spectrum of commodities;
Bloomberg Commodity Excess Return Index (BCOM), a broadly diversified index that allows investors to track 19 commodity futures through a single, simple measure.
Deutsche Banc Liquid Commodity Optimum Yield Index (DBC CI), an index composed of futures contracts on 14 of the most heavily-traded and important physical commodities in the world.
Watch the Video.
Pricing & Performance
NAV and Market Price information as of March 28, 2023. Line chart shows pricing trend over the last 30 days.
- 30.31NAV $
- 0.20Change $
- 0.66Change %
- 30.36Market $
- 0.21Change $
- 0.70Change %
|monthly||1M %||3M %||YTD %||1Y %||3Y %||5Y %||10Y %||Since Inception||Inception Date||Expense Ratio*|
(Gross / Net %)
|NAV||-2.60||1.82||0.37||0.91||17.15||8.51||—||6.68||03/30/2017||0.81 / 0.81*|
|quarterly||1M %||3M %||YTD %||1Y %||3Y %||5Y %||10Y %||Since Inception||Inception Date||Expense Ratio*|
(Gross / Net %)
|NAV||1.44||1.48||9.44||9.44||14.21||8.24||—||6.81||03/30/2017||0.81 / 0.81*|
The Primary Listing Exchange is the NYSE Arca, Inc.
* The Fund’s adviser, Rafferty Asset Management, LLC (“Rafferty”) has entered into an Operating Services Agreement with the Fund. Under this Operating Services Agreement, Rafferty has contractually agreed to pay all expenses of the Fund as long as it is the advisor of the Fund other than the following: management fees, Rule 12b-1 distribution and/or service fees, taxes, swap financing and related costs, dividends or interest on short positions, other interest expenses, brokerage commissions, expenses incurred in connection with any merger or reorganization, acquired fund fees and expenses, and extraordinary expenses. If these expenses were included, the expense ratio would be higher.
The performance data quoted represents past performance. Past performance does not guarantee future results. The investment return and principal value of an investment will fluctuate. An investor’s shares, when redeemed, may be worth more or less than their original cost. Current performance may be lower or higher than the performance quoted. Returns for performance under one year are cumulative, not annualized.
Short-term performance, in particular, is not a good indication of the fund’s future performance, and an investment should not be made based solely on returns. Because of ongoing market volatility, fund performance may be subject to substantial short-term changes. For additional information, see the fund’s prospectus.
|Record Date||Ex Date||Pay Date||Income Dividend||Short-Term Capital Gain||Long-Term Capital Gain|
Download the following Tax Reporting Documents
- Form 8937 (2020)